The GFM Self Managed Super Fund Service
Many individuals have realised the benefits of Self Managed Super Funds (SMSF’s), resulting in SMSF’s becoming the fastest growing sector of the superannuation market.
For the right person, self managed super can offer significant benefits, such as flexibility, potential tax savings, total control of your retirement savings and reduced administration fees – especially for those with a larger investment in super. But SMSF’s are not for everyone, as with greater control comes more responsibility for your own retirement income. As the trustee of a self managed super fund, you are responsible for its administration, investment management and compliance – no small task. This is where Gilham Financial Management’s SMSF service can help with day-to-day housekeeping as administrator for your fund.
Why use the GFM SMSF service?
We have been providing a comprehensive SMSF administration and investment management service to clients since 1996. Aside from our friendly, personalised and prompt service, our strongest asset is our many years of practical day-to-day experience in dealing with the legislative, operational requirements and investment management of self managed super funds.
We act as the mailing house for your fund, so we take care of all the correspondence relating to your fund’s investments on your behalf, and tend to the statutory obligations to make sure your fund remains compliant at all times.
If you already have an SMSF, we can provide a comprehensive analysis of your current superannuation arrangements, strategic advice pertaining to your existing fund’s structure and pre-retirement and retirement needs, a comprehensive portfolio analysis and ongoing monitoring and management of your portfolio.
Getting the right advice and expert guidance are so important when you're establishing your self managed super fund. We proudly specialise in SMSF’s - we provide you with a total solution to your SMSF needs from establishment through to ongoing management of administration and compliance requirements, investment advice and portfolio management, convenient access to our online portfolio service, and friendly, personalised service.
Click here to view our SMSF Brochure
Our SMSF Administration Service
We arrange all the paperwork that is necessary to set up your fund. Our SMSF Set up service includes the preparation and lodgment of:
- Trust Deeds
- Minutes of first Trustee meeting
- Member applications
- Tax File Number Application
- Australian Business Number Application
- Trustee Declaration and Consent to Act as Trustee forms
- Investment Strategy
- Death Benefit Beneficiary Nomination forms
- Fund Bank Account application
- Rollover documentation
On an ongoing basis we provide the following administrative services:
- Banking of deposits and recording of all transactions and income for the fund
- On-forwarding of investment-related correspondence with recommendations where applicable
- The preparation of paperwork to commence all types of pensions
- Preparation of pension / lump sum withdrawal paperwork and annual group certificates
- Organising the annual tax return & audit of the fund accounts
- Organising actuarial certificates when required
- Drafting of minutes of trustee meetings
- Completion and lodgment of Business Activity & Instalment Activity Statements
- Advice on compliance with the Trust Deed, and the SIS Act and Regulations
Keeping you regularly informed:
Being kept up to date is very important so as part of our ongoing service, we provide you with the following:
You will receive a comprehensive report that summarises your fund’s position at the end of each quarter and transactions during the quarter. The report also provides detailed commentary on the performance of your investment portfolio and recommendations where applicable.
Online access to your portfolio:
We will provide you with a login to view your portfolio online via our website. The online portfolio service is easy to use and provides the following information at your fingertips:
- Daily valuations of investments
- Asset allocation
- Cash account transactions
- Purchases and sales of investments
- Income paid and accruing to the portfolio
Regular client seminars and newsletters:
We run regular educational seminars covering a range of topical issues such as superannuation and retirement planning, updates on legislation, e.g. the Budget, the outlook for investment markets, etc.
We also issue a number of informative newsletters throughout the year, as well as a Weekly Email. More information on our seminars and newsletters can be found by clicking here.
Click here to view our latest newsletters
Click here to view upcoming seminars
Our SMSF Investment Management Service
Superannuation is a complex area, particularly in relation to SMSF’s as there are strict rules about how each fund is invested, managed and structured. Our expertise ensures that your fund is tailored to your personal needs and is positioned to grow your finances to build real wealth.
As part of our investment management service, we prepare a comprehensive financial plan covering:
- Your stated plans and objectives
- A discussion of your strategy options and our recommendations
- Analysis of transferring your existing super to your SMSF
- Specific investment recommendations for your fund
- Review of any insurance arrangements held within the fund
- All costs associated with our recommendations
Our Investment Committee meets regularly to discuss the performance of investments held within your portfolio, as well as potential investments that are under consideration. Our process is to continually select, monitor and adjust asset allocations - better performing managers and shares are selected and, just as importantly, poorer performing managers and shares are replaced.
In summary, our advice with respect to the investment management of your SMSF will cover the following:
- Compliance of your fund with SIS Regulations and other legislation
- The type of investments your fund may invest in
- Ongoing investment management of your fund’s investments
- What kind of benefits may be taken from the fund and in what form
- Strategies prior to commencing an income stream from your fund
- Proposed changes in the superannuation laws and their impact on your fund
Advantages of SMSF’S
Self managed super funds:
- Provide the opportunity to reduce income tax on investment income and capital gains;
- Increase the flexibility in investment choices and the asset selection;
- Increase the control over your total investment portfolio, with the ability to take account of the risk profile of all your assets, including those held outside superannuation;
- Provide the ability to have between 1- 4 members in the fund and allow the pooling of resources of others with similar financial objectives (for example, a family unit);
- Provide maximum flexibility in relation to the usage of pension streams;
- Increase the flexibility to use the advantages superannuation offers for those people trying to access Centrelink benefits such as the age pension;
- Give you the ability to transfer personally owned shares and other listed securities directly into superannuation;
- Now provide the ability to borrow to purchase assets such as real estate, and
- Give you the ability to own your business' real property (but not operating assets) in the superannuation fund, assisting funding and cashflow problems for many businesses.